• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Updated Driveshaft 8JP-G7511-10-00---metallurgy testing

I must be missing something here, but how does spinning the track affect the alignment of the wedge? I don't see any force except for gravity acting on the wedge once it's in the hollow shaft, and I'm assuming even when tightened to 5 lb/ft there's not enough mass in the wedge for it to move and correct any misalignment when spinning the shaft. Or is it still relatively loose until you get to 30+ lb/ft? I have a new updated shaft from Yamaha on the way and will be installing a wedge. Thanks to all for the great info on this issue!
It’s about centering the bearing as you tighten the wedge to make sure it’s running true and gets locked in place straight

Of course! I blame it on the weed... Thanks for the clarification.

I have a new updated shaft from Yamaha on the way and will be installing a wedge. Thanks to all for the great info on this issue!
Why not run the updated bearing with the lock collar?

Why not run the updated bearing with the lock collar?
It's a great solution if you don't want to go through the effort of removing the shaft for repair ($125 Cnd. locally), or new ($218 Cnd from Yamaha dealer). I'm a bit nervous about relying on rather crude set screws to locate the bearing, so I'll wait a while for some more feedback before using the BOP solution on the wife's SRViper next year. It's certainly less work.

I'm a bit nervous about relying on rather crude set screws to locate the bearing
The screws lock the bearing to the shaft. Yamaha did it this way for years on the left side drive bearing.
People all wanted the bearing to be locked to the shaft. When we have a bearing that does that, there is hesitation to use it?

The screws lock the bearing to the shaft. Yamaha did it this way for years on the left side drive bearing.
People all wanted the bearing to be locked to the shaft. When we have a bearing that does that, there is hesitation to use it?
As a former automotive machinist, I view set screws as a last resort type of solution. I'm completely open to using BOP's solution on the SRViper, but will wait a year until there is more feedback. My concerns are set screws backing out, and how difficult they will be to remove in the future (especially considering their small size).

For now I will install a new shaft and wedge on my Sidewinder.

i agree, have some these old bearings from 2s triple days and apex, they worked great with that tiny bearing a third of the size of sw.. as u said before love the fit of it tapping it on even with no set screws, the nicer thing about the wedge is install time tho! like a 10 min install lol

Attachments

• AA4A48D7-0B51-4327-AD7B-0060CCB0A748.jpeg
    AA4A48D7-0B51-4327-AD7B-0060CCB0A748.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 57
  • F1BD8588-A278-4367-A4AF-9916497C9A34.jpeg
    F1BD8588-A278-4367-A4AF-9916497C9A34.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 61
i agree, have some these old bearings from 2s triple days and apex, they worked great with that tiny bearing a third of the size of sw.. as u said before love the fit of it tapping it on even with no set screws, the nicer thing about the wedge is install time tho! like a 10 min install lol

Thing to remember is that bearing fit as it should on the shaft on an Apex. It didn't have the large tolerance the Winder has!

Thing to remember is that bearing fit as it should on the shaft on an Apex. It didn't have the large tolerance the Winder has!
I found with the new BOP bearing the tolerance was MUCH tighter than the stock bearing. Enough so I had to tap the bearing onto the shaft where the stocker fell off.
If we ever get any snow, I will be giving updates on the durability of this set up for sure.
I actually have to install another BOP bearing on a T-Cat this afternoon.

Maybe a silly question
but gas anyone entertained the idea of using both the wedge and the updated solution from BOP

It would be bullet proof I would think

I have two different places within 12 miles or less of me that will build these up and lathe them for $30
Add just enough that the bearing has to be tapped on for and interference fit.
Or make it the right size so that bearing slides on and use bop driveshaft saver.
Ok, update, a shaft repair is $60 from a place called Walsh Bros welding located in Southern Ontario, North of Stratford.(for those in the area)
519-393-6484

I have installed a couple of these bearings. The tolerance on the BOP bearing to the shaft is MUCH tighter.
On my 2022 I installed the BOP bearing with zero miles on the sled. The stock bearing would slide off the shaft. I could turn the stock bearing on the shaft and watch the inner race skid on the shaft. I had to tap the new BOP bearing into place.
I then took the set screws out and just barely drilled a spot on the shaft for the screws to bite. Blue loc-tite the screws in place.
The tighter tolerance with the added set screws I believe will keep it from spinning.
Can you please explain the process of drilling the shaft?
I'm thinking you pulled all the set screws out to mark the shaft then slide bop solution off to drill?! Idk....

Back